Lucknow, Tue Mar 06 2012, 17:07 hrs
Samajwadi Party will form the next government after winning 214 seats, routing Mayawati's BSP. In the battle royale in Hindi heartland, Mulayam Singh-led SP rode on an anti-incumbency wave to dislodge Mayawati looking to win a clear majority on its own.
Rahul Gandhi, who put up a spirited campaign for the party, appears not to have made much impact but still can take solace from the fact that seats for it have gone up marginally up from 22 earlier.
Here are the some of the winners and losers in 2012 Assembly elections in UP:
* Sitting independent MLA Mukhtar Ansari, who fought elections under the 'Quami Ekta Dal', wins from Mau Sadar seat by defeating his nearest rival Bhim Rajbhar of BSP by a margin of about five thousand votes.
* Leader of Opposition in the UP Assembly and SP nominee Shivpal Yadav today retained Jaswantnagar seat by defeating BSP's Manish Yadav by a margin of 81,084 votes.
* Heavyweight D P Yadav loses from Sahaswan Assembly seat where Onkar Singh Yadav of SP won defeating BSP's Babar Miyan by 7,062 votes. Yadav had contested as a candidate of his own party Rashtriya Parivartan Dal.
*Louis Khurshid, wife of Union Law Minister Salman Khurshid, loses from Farukkhabad Assembly seat where independent candidate Major Sunil Dutt Dwiwedi defeats BJP's Vijay Singh by a slender margin of 147 votes.
* Sitting Congress MLA Amita Singh defeated by SP candidate Gyatri Prasad Prajapati by a margin of over 7000 votes in Amethi.
* BJP national president and Rajya Sabha member Kalraj Mishra wins from Lucknow east seat by a margin of 20,188 votes. Mishra defeated his nearest SP rival Juhi Singh.
* UP Vidhan Sabha Speaker and BSP candidate Sukhdeo Rajbhar defeated by SP nominee Adil Beg by a margin of 2,536 votes in Deedarganj seat.
* UP Cabinet Minister Jagdish Narain Rai defeated by SP candidate Sachindranath Tripathi by a margin of 5,417 votes in Jafrabad seat.
* BSP's Rajbali Jaisal bags the newly carved-out Koraon (reserved) seat, defeating Ramkripal of CPI(M) by over 7,500 votes.
* SP's Sayeed Ahmed bags the newly carved-out Phulpur seat by defeating Praveen Patel of BSP by nearly 8,000 votes.
* In Gorakhpur (Urban), BJP's Radha Mohan Das Agrawal defeated his nearest Samajwadi Party rival Rajkumari Devi.
* Vijay Bahadur Yadav of BJP won from Gorakhpur (rural) seat, defeating SP's Zafar Amin Dakku.
* Fatehbahadur Singh of NCP won Campiyarganj seat, defeating SP rival Chinta Yadav.
* SP candidate Rajmati Nishad won Pipraich seat, defeating BSP candidate Jitendra Jaiswal alias Pappu Bhaiya.
* Sahjanwa seat has gone in favour of BSP where party candidate Rajendra defeated BJP candidate Ashwani Tiwari.
* Sant Prasad Beldar of BJP won the Khajani(SC) seat, defeating nearest BSP rival Ram Samujh.
* Jai Prakash Nishad of BSP defeated SP candidate Anup Kumar Pandey in Chauri-Chaura.
* Vijay Kumar of BSP won the Bansgaon (SC) seat defeating his nearest SP rival Sharda Devi.
* Sitting MLA of BSP Rajesh Tripathi has won Chillupar seat defeating his nearest rival C P Chand of Samajwadi Party.
* Samajwadi Party's Ajay Kumar wins the Bara Assembly seat defeating BSP's Bholanath Chaudhary by about 3,700 votes.
* BSP retains Karchhana as its candidate Deepak Patel defeats Samajwadi Party's Ujjwal Raman Singh by a wafer-thin margin of about 400 votes.
* UP BJP president Surya Pratap Shahi was today defeated in Pathardeva constituency by a margin of 4,800 by SP's Shakir Ali.
* Former SP MLA Vijma Yadav wins Pratappur seat, defeating Mujtaba Siddiqui of BSP by a margin of about 12,000 votes. Interestingly, both Yadav and Siddiqui were having their first shot at Pratappur, courtesy the latest delimitation.
Siddiqui was a three-time sitting MLA from Soraon, which has now been declared as reserved, while Yadav used to represent Jhusi which she had lost in 2007 and which has ceased to exist following the latest delimitation.
* Congress MLA from Allahabad (North) Anugrah Narain Singh has retained his seat, defeating Harshvardhan Bajpayee of BSP by a margin of more than 15,000 votes.
* Two-time BJP MLA from Bara, Udaybhan Karwaria, who contested from Allahabad (North) following his own constituency being declared as reserved, finished third.
* The SP has registered yet another handsome victory in Soraon, which is considered to be a stronghold of the BSP and has been declared a reserved seat in the latest delimitation.
* SP candidate Satyaveer Munna trounced Babu Lal "Bhawara" by over 13,000 votes.
* UP Cabinet Minister Jagdish Narain Rai defeated by SP
candidate Sachindranath Tripathi by a margin of 5,417 votes in Jafrabad seat.
* Tejpal Singh of RLD defeats Agriculture Minister and BSP candidate Chaudhary Laxmi Narain from Chhata assembly seat by a margin of 14,392 votes.
* Former Assembly Speaker Mata Prasad Pandey wins from Etwa seat by the margin of 9,000 votes from Congress candidate Mohammad Mukeem.
* BJP leader Salil Vishnoi defeats Samajwadi Party candidate Jitender Bhadur Singh in Kanpur's Arya Nagar seat by a margin of 15,374 votes.
* In Kanpur Cantt, BJP leader Raghunandan Bhadoria defeats Samajwadi Party candidate Hasan Rumi by a margin of 9,308 votes.
Former UP minister and sitting Handia MLA Rakesh Dhar Tripathi has lost to Mahesh Narain Singh of Samajwadi Party by a margin of over 45,000 votes.
Tripathi had won the seat in 2007 on a BSP ticket but left the party upon his expulsion from the state cabinet following allegations of corruption against him.
* The former minister for Higher Education fought the current elections as a candidate of fledgling outfit Pragatisheel Manav Samaj Party.
* In Allahabad (West), first-time BSP MLA Puja Pal has retained her seat defeating nearest Apna Dal rival Atiq Ahmed, a mafia don-turned-politician who has represented the constituency five times in the past and is a key accused in the murder of her husband Raju Pal.
* Pal defeated Ahmed by a margin of about 7,000 votes, while Jyoti Yadav, a former Ranji cricketer and SP candidate, finished third.